The Art Directors Club announced the latest group of inductees into the prestigious ADC Hall of Fame. The seven illustrious honorees, representing the fields of advertising, design, architecture, filmmaking, illustration, academia and photography, will be inducted at a black-tie benefit gala dinner on November 6, 2008, at the ADC Gallery in New York, with proceeds going toward ADC scholarship programs.
ADC Hall of Fame laureates for 2008 are:
- Alex Bogusky, co-chairman, Crispin Porter + Bogusky;
- Ray Eames (posthumous), designer, architect and filmmaker;
- Sir John Hegarty, chairman, worldwide creative director, Bartle Bogle Hegarty;
- Maira Kalman, illustrator, artist, designer;
- John Maeda, president, Rhode Island School of Design
- R. Roger Remington, Massimo and Leila Vignelli Distinguished Professor of Design, Rochester Institute of Technology;
- Bruce Weber, fashion photographer.
ADC, the premier organization for integrated media and the longest-running global creative collective of its kind, established the ADC Hall of Fame in 1971 as unique cross-disciplinary acknowledgement of the most renowned professionals in visual arts and communications. Past inductees represent a diverse group of luminaries in those fields, including Richard Avedon, Saul Bass, Leo Burnett, Jay Chiat, Walt Disney, Milton Glaser, Annie Leibovitz, George Lois, Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Paul Rand, Andy Warhol and others.
"ADC Hall of Fame pays lasting tribute to those whose careers have profoundly influenced the direction of their fields," said Ami Brophy, CEO, ADC. "This recognition honors an ongoing lifetime of achievement that exemplifies the highest standards of creative excellence and leads the industry forward. We're proud to capture the history of our industry in the accomplishments of these laureates."
ADC Hall of Fame Nominating Committee was co-chaired by past ADC board member Gael Towey, chief creative officer, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, and current board member Chee Pearlman, principal, Chee Company. The full nominating committee included ADC board members Paul Lavoie, chairman, chief creative officer at TAXI and ADC immediate past president, Tony Palladino, Virginia Smith, Red Burns (Hall of Fame Laureate 1998), Paul Davis (Hall of Fame Laureate 1995), Richard Wilde (Hall of Fame Laureate 1999), Michael Donovan and Ann Harakawa, as well as George Lois (Hall of Fame Laureate 1978) and past ADC Board member Lisa Strausfeld.
ADC celebrates the 2008 Hall of Fame inductions with a series of "Fame Festival" week events, all taking place at the ADC Gallery, 106 West 29th Street, New York. These include:
- November 5: A conversation with Alex Bogusky and John Hegarty.
- November 6: ADC Hall of Fame 2008 black-tie benefit gala induction ceremony, beginning with a champagne reception and preview of the exhibition devoted to the work of the new laureates at 6:30pm, followed by a seated dinner and awards presentation emceed by the Emmy and Peabody Award winning journalist John Hockenberry.
- November 11: A conversation with John Maeda and Maira Kalman.
- November 12: Honoring Ray Eames, with her grandson Eames Demetrios
Proceeds from the benefit gala dinner go towards ADC scholarship programs.